1814 MAGAZINE is a limited edition, bi annual publication that focuses on photography, design, art, and culture.

1814 MAGAZINE is dedicated to providing a unique platform for established and emerging artists.

1814 MAGAZINE strives to combine the best in both words and images from some of the greatest photographers and artists of the 20th and 21st century. Recent issues have included such celebrated artists as E.O. Hoppe, Massimo Vitali, Eudora Welty, Bernard Faucon, Donna DeMari, Karlheinz Weinberger as well as Henry Horenstein, Wang Qinsong, Vivian Maier, Georges Dambier, Christer Stromholm, Edward Ruscha, Yves Marchand & Romaine Meffre, Antony Armstrong Jones, Paulina Otylie Surys, Chris Stein, Mel Roberts, and Alexander Gronsky. Known for its clean gallery type presentation and unusual juxtapositions, 1814 MAGAZINE both mirrors and encourages the evolution of photography, art and culture.


So Goude - Muse, Spectacle, and the French Correction - Photographs, Collage and Illustration by Jean-Paul Goude - Interview with Jean-Paul Goude by Séverine Harzo

1814: Can you discuss the role of 'muse' in your work?

JPG: I have always liked to work with girls. When I was a teenager, I was systematically attracted by girls who had style, the ones who fixed themselves up better than the others, and I'd go as far as advising them on what they should wear or not. Much later when I arrived in New York, I went on doing the same thing, this time with Toukie Smith, with whom I lived and whose close cropped Masai inspired hair style represented to me the the only alternative to those elaborate pompadour hair styles that were so popular with women of color in the late 60's. All this to say that Toukie was the perfect incarnation of African American femininity. Same thing with the shape of black women's bodies, whose long legs and generous backsides I chose to celebrate by exaggerating them. In 1973 I made a reduced version from a cast of Toukie that I judged not dramatic enough. Cutting up the twelve inch statue into pieces, I elongated its legs, arms, neck, and considerably exaggerated its posterior: but my Toukie doll was a flop. Toukie hated it.

Grace Jones, on the other hand, was very receptive to my ideas. I think thats what she liked about me…

www.1814mag.com